Motor Tax Online
Motor Tax Online is a secure service provided by Ireland's Local Authorities and the Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government for private vehicles.
Motor Tax Online is a secure service provided by the Department of Transport, which allows motor tax customers to tax their vehicles online with the PIN Number on their motor tax renewal notice RF100B which is sent by the Department of Transport.
* Vehicles may normally be taxed online at www.motortax.ie using the last six digits of the Vehicle Registration Certificate Number (which this leaflet accompanies) as the Personal Identification Number (PIN) required by the online service. This number (beginning with the letter C) appears at the top right hand corner of the front of the Vehicle Registration Certificate
* Please retain the Vehicle Registration Certificate carefully for reference to the PIN for tax purposes as well as for use when you sell the vehicle.
* If you own a commercial vehicle that has previously been taxed in your name at your local motor tax office, the tax can also be paid online. The vehicle must have a current certificate of roadworthiness i.e. valid at the beginning of the selected tax period. If you are a new owner of a commercial vehicle, please see Note 2 below.
2. Motor Tax Office
* You may also tax the vehicle at your local motor tax office, by attending personally or by postal application. To do this, you will need to complete form RF100A.
* If you are taxing a commercial vehicle in your name for the first time the application must be made at the local motor tax office. In the case of light commercial vehicles (vehicles whose design gross vehicle weight is under 3,500 kg), you must complete form RF111A (declaration that the vehicle will only be used as a goods carrying vehicle in the course of the owners business) as part of the application, and provide any other supporting evidence required by that office.
*Forms Form RF100A and RF111A are available at the motor tax office or can be downloaded at www.motortax.ie
Please note that liability for motor tax arises from the date the vehicle is acquired by the owner (the date of sale stated on the change of ownership notification).
Department Of Transport,
Shannon Town Centre,
Online queries: Telephone: 0818411412
Change of ownership queries: Telephone: 0818411412