- Tuesday to Saturday - 10:00am - 5:30pm
(Closed on Saturdays of Bank Holiday weekends)
Skibbereen Library offers a wide range of books for lending to adults and children, including large print books, books on tape and CDs. The library also holds a DVD collection which includes film and documentary titles for adults and children. A selection of general reference books is also held, such as encyclopaedias and dictionaries.
Skibbereen Library also holds a selection of Audio-Described Videos, suitable for the visually impaired.
The following current newspapers are available for viewing in the library: the Irish Examiner, the Irish Independent, the Irish Times, the Farmer's Journal, and the Southern Star.
Internet access is available on 3 PCs. This includes 1 PC with full Assistive Technology to aid people with disabilities. Advance booking for this service is advisable.
A valid library card must be presented for Internet access.
Skibbereen Library also holds a complete hardcopy set of 1842 Ordnance Survey maps for the entire Cork County area.
Online Services available:
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Music Online
- Irish Times Digital Archive
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (DNB)
- Ordnance Survey Historical Maps
- LexisNexis - newspapers, journals and periodicals online
- Vision-Net - business information database
There are also online resources for young people e.g.
- Brittanica Junior (5-11)
- Brittanica Student (12-18)
- Skool etc.
- Two Adult Reading Groups meet twice a month, generally on a Thursday.
- A Creative Writing Group meets on the 1st Thursday of every month.
- A Knitting Group called Knitwits meet at 11.00am each Wednesday.
- Local artists sometimes exhibit their work at the library
- Skibbereen Library holds a number of events during the year, and is involved in local and national festivals:
- St. Brigid's Festival
- Library Ireland Week
- Seachtain na Gaeilge
- Bealtaine Festival
- Summer Arts Programme
- A Taste of West Cork food festival
- Children's Book Festival
- Skibbereen's Winter Wonderland
For information about up-coming events please contact the library.
Events are also advertised in the Seen and Heard section of the Southern Star newspaper.
We also have a small selection of magazines e.g. Woman's way, Hello, The Phoenix, National Geographic, Which, Consumer Choice and Irish Arts.