Covid- 19 Service Update

In line with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection COVID-19 Guidelines, Cork County Council tenants and HAP/RAS customers can apply to have their rent re-assessed.

All tenants seeking a rent reduction due to loss of earnings or employment because of the COVID-19 pandemic should scan/post confirmation of reduced income from either their employer or the Dept of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to:

  • HAP/RAS tenants can email same to  
  • Cork County Council tenants can email same to
  • Postal address: HAP/RAS - Housing Section, Floor 4, Cork County Council, Carrigrohane Road, Cork, Ireland Eircode : T12 R2N 
  • Cork County Council tenants – Rent Assessment Unit, Cork County Council Offices, Kent St., Clonakilty, Co. Cork. P85 X375

This will allow us to begin re-assessments as quickly as possible.  If there is a time lag in actually changing the rent payment, adjustments will be backdated. We would stress the importance of tenants continuing to pay rent until the re-assessment is complete.


The Housing Options Section provides a number of Housing Services beyond the direct provision of housing by Cork County Council. Such services include the facilitation of housing by Approved Housing Bodies and the private rental sector in addition to leasing through Departmental approved Schemes.  This section also facilitates property purchases to tenants and provides home loans to both tenants and other qualified applicants through the Tenant Incremental Purchase Scheme and the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan Scheme.

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support provided by Cork County Council. HAP means that local authorities can provide housing assistance for households who qualify for social housing support, including many long-term rent supplement recipients.

Under HAP, local authorities will make a monthly payment to a landlord, subject to terms and conditions including rent limits, on a HAP tenant’s behalf. In return, the HAP tenant pays a weekly contribution towards the rent to the local authority. This ‘rent contribution’ is based on the household income. It is calculated in the same way as the rent paid by a tenant of a local authority owned property.


  • HAP is a new form of housing support provided by local authorities for households who qualify for social housing support, including many long-term rent supplement recipients
  • The Council makes the full rental payment to landlords subject to maximum limits per household size and tenants pay a weekly income based rent to the Council
  • HAP recipients are responsible for sourcing their own accommodation in the private rented market
  • HAP recipients can have access to other social housing supports offered by local authorities, such as standard social housing or housing provided by Approved Housing Bodies
  • The aim of the scheme is to provide a more integrated system of housing supports to allow all social housing supports to be accessed through one body the local authority and to allow recipients to take up full-time employment and still keep their housing support

Further information can be found on the Housing Assistance Payment Information Leaflet 


Contact Details: HAP Unit, Housing Dept, Cork County Council, Floor 4, County Hall, Cork.
Tel: 021-4285079 Email:  or use our online Enquiry Form

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a social housing support introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of long-term rent supplement.
Persons normally must be in receipt of rent supplement for a minimum period of 18 months and be assessed as having a long-term housing need.
Under the RAS scheme, private rented properties provide an additional source of good quality rental accommodation for eligible persons.


  • The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a nationwide scheme for people who are receiving rent supplement for 18 months or more and who have a long-term housing need
  • Under RAS the Council enters into contractual arrangements with landlords to secure the medium to long-term availability of private rented accommodation
  • The Council pays the agreed monthly rent to the Landlord on behalf of the tenant
  • The tenant pays the Council a weekly income based rent
  • The landlord must meet requirements in relation to tax compliance, registration with the RTB, provide a Building Energy Rating (BER) certificate for the property which must meet minimum standards for private rented accommodation as determined by the Council on inspection


Contact Details: RAS Unit, Housing Dept, Cork County Council, Floor 4, County Hall, Cork.
Tel: 021-4285347; 021-4285110; 021-4285111 or use our online Enquiry Form

You must be the tenant of a Local Authority property available for sale and be in receipt of social housing support for a minimum period of one year with a minimum reckonable income (income from all sources) of €15,000.


If you earn between €15,000 - €20,000  60% Discount Charged Period 30 years
If you earn between €20,001 - €29,999  50% Discount Charged Period 25 years
If you earn €30,000+  40% Discount Charged Period 20 years


Under the scheme, a tenant of Cork County Council pays the authority a discounted price related to his or her income in order to purchase the house at an agreed market value and on completion of the sale, Cork County Council places an incremental purchase charge on the house equal to the discount granted  (eg. 40%/50%/60%). The incremental purchase charge will wither away to nothing over the charging period in annual incremental releases of 2%, provided that the purchaser complies with the terms and conditions of the transfer order. The incremental releases for the first five years of occupancy will not be applied until that period has expired.


  • You or a joint tenant must have been in receipt of social housing support for a minimum of one year on the date of making the application to purchase
  • You must have a minimum reckonable annual income of €15,000 per annum
  • Your rent must be paid up to date – a house cannot be sold to a tenant, wherein the 3 years prior to applying to purchase, was in arrears of Rent, Rent contributions, Charges, Fees or any other charges owed to a Housing Authority or an Approved Housing Body for an accumulated period of more than 12 weeks in respect of a dwelling or site provided as social housing support. If you have entered into rescheduling arrangements with Cork County Council, this disqualification does not apply – Provided that you are adhering to those arrangements
  • You must not have previously purchased a house under an earlier Tenant Purchase Scheme from a Housing Authority
  • Cork County Council may refuse to sell a house to a tenant if the tenant or any household member is or was engaged in anti-social behaviour or on the ground of good estate management


Contact Details: Tenant Purchase (Incremental Purchase Scheme), Housing Dept, Cork County Council, Floor 4, County Hall, Cork.
Tel: (021) 4285585 Email:  or please use our online Enquiry Form

The Department is now accepting applications for capital funding for the delivery through either the construction or acquisition of housing accommodation to cater for the priority groups under the Capital Assistance Scheme (CAS) such as homeless persons (including “care leavers” exiting State care on reaching the age of 18), elderly and people with a disability with a particular emphasis, but not exclusively, on moving people with a disability from a congregated setting into community based living.

Cork County Council requests submissions as follows:

New CAS construction and acquisitions proposals specifically for the provision of accommodation to meet the needs of all the target groups under CAS.  All AHBs will need to adhere to circular Capital Assistance Scheme – Call for Proposals which outlines details of the scheme (and relevant circulars) including:


  • Acquisition of units
  • Construction of new units
  • Criteria to be used by LAs in assessing proposals
  • Rents
  • Compliance with Voluntary Regulatory Code
  • Ethical Framework and Disclosure of Interest

Proposals will be accepted on a “rolling basis”.

Click the following links for Capital Assistance Scheme Application Form.


Contact Us: Breeda Murphy, Administrative Officer, Housing Options, Floor 4, County Hall, Carrigrohane Road, Cork. Eircode: T12R2NC
or use our Online Enquiry Form

What is Private Rented Accommodation?
Renting is an agreement whereby a payment (rent) is made for the temporary residential use of a property owned by another person or company (the landlord). There is usually a written rental agreement or contract involved to specify the terms of the rental, which are regulated and managed under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

A tenant must pay a regular rent payment to the landlord and in the majority of cases, an upfront deposit is required as a form of secure payment.
What types of tenancies are there?
Traditionally there have been three types of tenancies in Ireland:

  • Periodic Tenancies: this tenancy can be a weekly or monthly agreement depending on when you pay your rent. There is not a fixed amount of time associated with it. They are usually based on informal agreements between the tenant and the landlord
  • Fixed term Tenancies: this type of tenancy is based on a specific period of time set down in a written contract called a lease agreement. It is a legal contract between the tenant and the landlord. The lease sets out the terms of the rental arrangement, e.g. rent amount, term of the agreement, obligations of the tenant and the landlord, what happens if the terms of the agreement are broken
  • Rent a room: this is where a tenant rents a room in the landlord’s home and lives with the landlord. This tenancy is not governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004
  • The standards for privately rented houses are set out in the above legislation.  The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019 came into effect on the 1st of April 2019
  • Landlord's Responsibilities: landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their private rented houses (which include a house, flat or an apartment) are maintained in good condition and repair. Landlords are required to ensure that their lettings comply with the Regulations while letting and while available for letting

Contact:  Private Rental Accommodation Inspections, Housing Dept, Cork County Council, Floor 4, County Hall, Cork
Emaill  or use our  Online Enquiry Form

Tenants occupying rented accommodation not meeting the relevant standards should, in the first instance, contact their landlord in order to give the landlord an opportunity to put the matter right. If a tenant has notified the landlord regarding the need for repairs, but the problem has not been rectified by the landlord, then the tenant may chose to refer the matter to the Local Authority Housing Department for investigation. The Housing Department will issue the tenant with a complaint form, which the tenant should complete fully (providing their details, the landlord/agent details along with full details of their complaint/concerns/query).
Complaints cannot be dealt with when:

  • They are anonymous
  • The matter does not relate to housing standards
  • There is insufficient information given to investigate
  • The tenant is in rent arrears


If it is the opinion of the Housing Section that the complaint requires further investigation, then an appointment will be made to inspect the relevant property and further action initiated if warranted.

Contact:  Private Rental Accommodation Inspections, Housing Dept, Cork County Council, Floor 4, County Hall, Cork
Emaill  or use our  Online Enquiry Form

The standards for private rented houses are set out in the above legislation.  The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019 came into effect on the 1st of April 2019.   
The main objective of these regulations is to establish minimum standards in order to protect the health and well being of tenants and which makes private rented houses safe and fit for habitation.  

What is the Landlord Responsible For?
Landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their private rented houses (which include a house, flat or an apartment) are maintained in good condition and repair.  Landlords are required to ensure that their lettings comply with the Regulations while let and while available for letting.

Enforcement of Housing Standards in Private Rented Houses             
Responsibility for the enforcement of the regulations rests with the relevant local authority. Local authority inspectors inspect rental properties for the purpose of ensuring they comply with the regulations and where a property does not comply, can engage a series of sanctions against a landlord up to and including prosecution in the District Court. 

Landlords failing to comply with their legal obligations in private rented houses are liable to be prosecuted, and on conviction, may be subject to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both, along with a daily fine of €400 for a continuing offence.

Eligibility and Exceptions:
The revised regulations will apply to all rental accommodation with the exception of the following:


  • Holiday homes
  • Accommodation provided by the HSE or an approved housing body containing communal sanitary, cooking and dining facilities.
  • Demountable (e.g. mobile homes) housing provided by a housing authority accommodation let by a housing authority or an approved housing body will be exempt from the requirements for food preparation, storage and laundry purposes. In this kind of accommodation the tenant usually provides these goods, retaining

Do the regulations apply to listed buildings?
Listed buildings were covered by the 1993 regulations and will continue to be required to meet the requirements of the new regulations. The owner or occupier of a protected structure is entitled to ask the planning authority to identify works that would, or would not, require planning permission in the case of their particular building. Landlords will be advised to contact the conservation officer in the local authority for advice when considering undertaking works. 


What are the key features of the Regulations?

Structural Condition – Regulation 4
All rental accommodation must be maintained in a proper state of structural repair. This means that the dwelling must be essentially sound, with roof, floors, ceiling, walls and stairs in good repair and not subject to serious dampness or liable to collapse because they are rotted or otherwise defective. Windows more than 1400mm above ground level must be fitted with safety restrictors.

Sanitary Facilities - Regulation 5
All rental accommodation must contain the following self-contained sanitary facilities:
•    Water closet (toilet), with wash hand basin adjacent to it supplied with hot and cold water
•    Fixed bath or shower, supplied with hot and cold water
•    These facilities must be provided in a room separate from other rooms by a wall and door and contain separate ventilation. 

Heating Facilities – Regulation 6
All habitable rooms must contain a fixed appliance (or appliances) capable of providing effective heating. The tenant must be able to control the operation of the heating appliance. 
There must also be, where necessary, provision for the safe and effective removal of fumes to the external air.
Suitably located devices for the detection and alarm of carbon monoxide gas should be provided.

Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry – Regulation 7
All rental accommodation shall contain the following self-contained facilities: 
•    4 ring hob with oven and grill
•    Provision for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of cooker hood or an extractor fan
•    Fridge and freezer
•    Microwave oven
•    Sink with a draining area 
•    Adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage purposes
•    Washing machine within the dwelling unit or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building
•    In cases where the accommodation does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of this accommodation, a dryer must be provided.

Ventilation – Regulation 8
All habitable rooms must have adequate ventilation, maintained in good repair and working order. Kitchens and bathrooms must be provided with adequate ventilation (mechanical extraction vent) for the removal of water vapour to the external air.

Lighting – Regulation 9
All habitable rooms must have adequate natural lighting; all rooms (including every hall, stairs and landing) must have a suitable and adequate means of artificial lighting. Emergency lighting, linked to fire alarm systems, must be provided in all units within a multi-unit building. 

Fire Safety – Regulation 10
It is proposed to distinguish between multi-unit dwellings and rental units which do not form part of a multi-unit dwelling. 
•    Multi-unit dwellings will be required to contain a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket, emergency lighting in common areas and an emergency evacuation plan.
•    Rental units that do not form part of a multiple unit (houses) must have a fire blanket and either at least two mains-wired smoke alarms or at least two 10-year self-contained battery-operated smoke alarms.
Smoke alarms should be in working order and within their “end of life” indicator.

Refuse Facilities - Regulation 11
The revised regulations will require access for tenants to proper, pest and vermin-proof refuse storage facilities. The use of communal storage facilities, where appropriate, will be considered to comply with the regulations. 

Gas, Oil and Electricity Installations – Regulation 12
Installations in the house for electricity, oil and gas supply must be maintained in good repair and safe working order. 

Information – Regulation 13
The tenant should be provided with sufficient information about the property.