Social Housing Support includes all of the options listed below.  Once applicants' housing needs are met under any one of these options they will then be removed from the Local Authority Housing Waiting List/Social Housing Support.

  • Rented Local Authority Housing
  • Housing Assistance Payment.
  • Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)
  • Leased Unit
  • Voluntary/Co-operative Housing
  • Site for a Private House
  • Traveller Specific Accommodation
  • Transfer from existing Local Authority Accommodation
  • Extension to an existing Local Authority House to meet  accommodation needs

    Related Documents

    Application Form for Social Housing Support


Tenants of the Council, including tenants of dwellings provided under the Social Housing Leasing Initiative, Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS), Housing Assistance Payment (HAP), or by Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) may apply for consideration for a transfer to other dwellings, under the following circumstances:

  • Overcrowding
  • Where older persons and other households wish to move to smaller accommodation (downsizing)
  • Medical/compassionate reasons
  • On grounds of being a victim of Anti Social Behaviour if proved where the Council’s Estate Management Unit and An Garda Siochana (letter from Garda Superintendent) support the transfer application
  • To facilitate incremental purchase, where the Council has consented to such a purchase
  • Other exceptional circumstances.


The Council will facilitate a transfer request if deemed valid and necessary. All transfer requests are dependent on an existing property being in a suitable condition for immediate re-letting and free from any arrears with a satisfactory record of regular payments.


Tenants seeking a transfer must fulfill the following requirements to the satisfaction of the Housing Authority:

  • Hold tenancy in their present dwelling, for a period of at least two years
  • Have a clear rent account – any transfer will take account of rent arrears but allowances may be made where an agreement is in place, and being adhered to by the tenant to address any such arrears over an agreed period of time
  • Have kept their dwelling in satisfactory condition, subject to inspection
  • Have complied with the conditions of their Tenancy Agreement
  • Have no record of Anti-Social Behaviour.



In the case of emergency or exceptional medical/compassionate grounds, the Council may forgo any or all of the above conditions in granting a transfer of tenancy.


Where a transfer is granted, the tenants involved must accept their new dwelling in its existing condition. The existing property must be returned to Cork County Council in an acceptable condition.


The Transfer Application Form is available here.

1. HAP is a new form of housing support provided by local authorities for households who qualify for social housing support, including many long-term rent supplement recipients.

2. The Council makes the full rental payment to landlords subject to maximum limits per household size and tenants pay a weekly income based rent to the Council.

3. HAP recipients are responsible for sourcing their own accommodation in the private rented market.

4. HAP recipients can have access to other social housing supports offered by local authorities, such as standard social housing or housing provided by Approved Housing Bodies.

5. The aim of the scheme is to provide a more integrated system of housing supports to allow all social housing supports to be accessed through one body the local authority, and to allow recipients to take up full-time employment and still keep their housing support.



TEL:  021 4285079 



Housing Assistance Programme Enquiry

Related Documents

HAP -info-leaflet-English-V5-2017560.4 KB

HAP -info-leaflet-Gaeilge-V5-2017545.93 KB

Tenants - Booklet - English - V5-20171017.48 KB

Tenants - Booklet - Gaeilge - V5-2017828.76 KB

Landlord-Booklet-English-V5-20171 MB

Landlord-Booklet-Gaeilge -V5-20171.04 MB

1. The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a nationwide scheme for people who are receiving rent supplement for 18 months or more and who have a long-term housing need.

2. Under RAS the Council enters into contractual arrangements with landlords to secure the medium to long-term availability of private rented accommodation.

3. The Council pays the agreed monthly rent to the Landlord on behalf of the tenant.

4. The tenant pays the Council a weekly income based rent.

5. The landlord must meet requirements in relation to tax compliance, registration with the RTB, provide a Building Energy Rating (BER) certificate for the property which must meet minimum standards for private rented accommodation as determined by the Council on inspection.


RAS UNIT, Housing Dept.,
Cork County Council,
Floor 4, County Hall,

TEL: 021 4285347

Cork County Council rents are calculated in accordance with the terms of CCC’s Countywide Differential Scheme 2012 which was varied by Directors Order on 16/01/2017. The Scheme also applies to tenants in leased accommodation and RAS accommodation.

The Allocation Scheme is to provide a means of determining the order of priority to be accorded in the allocation of dwellings to:


  • Persons assessed as being qualified for social housing support in accordance with Section 20 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 2009 (and associated regulations)
  • Persons transferring from a dwelling, including from a dwelling provided under the Social Housing Leasing Initiative or the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) and, including transfers to new dwellings being purchased under the Incremental Purchase Scheme.


The Approved Housing Allocation Scheme can be viewed here.

The phone numbers for the Homeless Persons Unit in Drinan Street, Cork are:

  • 021-4805490
  • 021-4805492
  • 021-4805493
  • 021-4805494

    Public Clinic at Drinan Street is open to the public:-

    Monday - Friday from 9.30am - 11.30pm.

More information can be found here

Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017

The standards for private rented houses are set out in the above legislation.  The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017 came into effect on the 1st of July 2017.   

The main objective of these regulations is to establish minimum standards in order to protect the health and well being of tenants and which makes private rented houses safe and fit for habitation. 


What is the Landlord Responsible For?

Landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their private rented houses (which include a house, flat or an apartment) are maintained in good condition and repair.  Landlords are required to ensure that their lettings comply with the Regulations while let and while available for letting.


Enforcement of Housing Standards in Private Rented Houses            

Responsibility for the enforcement of the regulations rests with the relevant local authority. Local authority inspectors inspect rental properties for the purpose of ensuring they comply with the regulations and where a property does not comply, can engage a series of sanctions against a landlord up to and including prosecution in the District Court.


Landlords failing to comply with their legal obligations in private rented houses are liable to be prosecuted, and on conviction, may be subject to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both, along with a daily fine of €400 for a continuing offence.


Eligibility and Exceptions:
The revised regulations will apply to all rental accommodation with the exception of the following:

  • Holiday homes
  • Accommodation provided by the HSE or an approved housing body containing communal sanitary, cooking and dining facilities.
  • Demountable (e.g. mobile homes) housing provided by a housing authority accommodation let by a housing authority or an approved housing body will be exempt from the requirements for food preparation, storage and laundry purposes. In this kind of accommodation the tenant usually provides these goods, retaining


Do the regulations apply to listed buildings?

Listed buildings were covered by the 1993 regulations and will continue to be required to meet the requirements of the new regulations. The owner or occupier of a protected structure is entitled to ask the planning authority to identify works that would, or would not, require planning permission in the case of their particular building. Landlords will be advised to contact the conservation officer in the local authority for advice when considering undertaking works.



Tenants occupying rented accommodation not meeting the relevant standards should, in the first instance, contact their landlord in order to give the landlord an opportunity to put the matter right. If a tenant has notified the landlord regarding the need for repairs, but the problem has not been rectified by the landlord, then the tenant may chose to refer the matter to the Local Authority Housing Department for investigation. The Housing Department will issue the tenant with a complaint form, which the tenant should complete fully (providing their details, the landlord/agent details along with full details of their complaint/concerns/query).

Complaints cannot be dealt with when:

  • They are anonymous
  • The matter does not relate to housing standards
  • There is insufficient information given to investigate
  • The tenant is in rent arrears

If it is the opinion of the Housing Section that the complaint requires further investigation, then an appointment will be made to inspect the relevant property and further action initiated if warranted.



What are the key features of the Regulations?


Structural Condition – Regulation 4

All rental accommodation must be maintained in a proper state of structural repair. This means that the dwelling must be essentially sound, with roof, floors, ceiling, walls and stairs in good repair and not subject to serious dampness or liable to collapse because they are rotted or otherwise defective. Windows more than 1400mm above ground level must be fitted with safety restrictors.


Sanitary Facilities - Regulation 5

All rental accommodation must contain the following self-contained sanitary facilities:

  • Water closet (toilet), with wash hand basin adjacent to it supplied with hot and cold water
  • Fixed bath or shower, supplied with hot and cold water
  • These facilities must be provided in a room separate from other rooms by a wall and door and contain separate ventilation.


Heating Facilities – Regulation 6

All habitable rooms must contain a fixed appliance (or appliances) capable of providing effective heating. The tenant must be able to control the operation of the heating appliance.

There must also be, where necessary, provision for the safe and effective removal of fumes to the external air.

Suitably located devices for the detection and alarm of carbon monoxide gas should be provided.


Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry – Regulation 7

All rental accommodation shall contain the following self-contained facilities:

  • 4 ring hob with oven and grill
  • Provision for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of cooker hood or an extractor fan
  • Fridge and freezer
  • Microwave oven
  • Sink with a draining area
  • Adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage purposes
  • Washing machine within the dwelling unit or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building
  • In cases where the accommodation does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of this accommodation, a dryer must be provided.


Ventilation – Regulation 8

All habitable rooms must have adequate ventilation, maintained in good repair and working order. Kitchens and bathrooms must be provided with adequate ventilation (mechanical extraction vent) for the removal of water vapour to the external air.


Lighting – Regulation 9

All habitable rooms must have adequate natural lighting; all rooms (including every hall, stairs and landing) must have a suitable and adequate means of artificial lighting. Emergency lighting, linked to fire alarm systems, must be provided in all units within a multi-unit building.


Fire Safety – Regulation 10

It is proposed to distinguish between multi-unit dwellings and rental units which do not form part of a multi-unit dwelling.

  • Multi-unit dwellings will be required to contain a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket, emergency lighting in common areas and an emergency evacuation plan.
  • Rental units that do not form part of a multiple unit (houses) must have a fire blanket and either at least two mains-wired smoke alarms or at least two 10-year self-contained battery-operated smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms should be in working order and within their “end of life” indicator.


Refuse Facilities - Regulation 11

The revised regulations will require access for tenants to proper, pest and vermin-proof refuse storage facilities. The use of communal storage facilities, where appropriate, will be considered to comply with the regulations.


Gas, Oil and Electricity Installations – Regulation 12

Installations in the house for electricity, oil and gas supply must be maintained in good repair and safe working order.


Information – Regulation 13

The tenant should be provided with sufficient information about the property.

Additional Information and Publications:


Information on the relevant legislation may also be obtained on or


Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992

Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 1993

Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008

Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Amendment Regulations 2009

Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009

Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017



Guidelines for Housing Authorities in the implementation of Minimum Standards in Rented Accommodation:



Guide on Minimum Standards for Rented Residential Accommodation by Rebuilding Ireland:



Guide on Minimum Standards for Rented Residential Accommodation (Tenants and Landlords) by the RTB:



Residential Tenancies Act 2004 – A Quick Guide



Any queries may be directed via email to:




Other Agencies:


Rented Tenancies Board (PRTB):


Property services regulatory authority:




Irish property owners association:


Residential landlords association of Ireland:


Irish landlord: