A Status Orange Met Eireann Rainfall Warning and Status Yellow Wind Warning remains in effect with significant amounts of rainfall being experienced across the county. Over 76mm has been recorded in some locations.
Cork County Council’s Severe Weather Assessment Team convened again this evening to assess the impact of these conditions.
The River Blackwater is rising slowly and nearing road level on the N72 at Mallow Racecourse, which may result in the closure of this road. Local diversions will be signposted.
Flood barriers have been erected in Fermoy and Mallow with the early warning systems in place. Bridge Street in Mallow is about to close and will be fully closed by 7.00PM. The expected peak in Mallow is at 10.00PM. The closure of the Bridge in Fermoy will continue to be monitored in line with river levels. Peak in Fermoy is expected between 3.00AM and 6.00AM. Council crews remain on standby. The R639 is expected to close after midnight.
Pumping arrangements have continued in known locations with no major flooding of properties having been reported. Several roads have been impacted as a result of fallen trees and localised flooding. Details of road closures can be found by visiting https://mapalerts.corkcoco.ie/en/gismap
Roads affected at this time include;
• Tree blocking the R600 at Fivemilebridge
• R613 remains impassable at Ballea
• R618 is impassable south of Coachford by the GAA pitch
• R619 is impassable east of Coachford before Clontead
• L-2761-0 Mill road from Dripsey towards Aghabullogue is impassable
• Flooding at two locations on the L2764 Shournagh Line, road is impassable
• Flooding on R-584 Hartnett’s Cross to Toons Bridge but passible
• L-3418 Ballyverane, Northern outskirts of Macroom Town flooded and closed.
• L2015 by Glenview Gardens closed
• North of Dunmanway the L-4622-34 and the L-4616-0 are impassable
• South of Enniskeane the R588 (by GP Wood) and the adjacent L-2014-0 at Curraghcrowly East are both closed.
• R585 at Bengour
• R588 at the turn off for Castletown Kinneagh
• R599 by Dunmanway Rugby Club
• R637 between Manch Junction and Ballincarriga
• Flooding on the R586 between junction with R637 at Ballincarriga and Manch (by Carbery Group’s factory)
• R587 is closed at Ardcahan Bridge
• L4624 is closed at the Idle Bridge, Manch (road from R586 to wards Coppeen)
• Skibbereen, concerns around the L-9827-0 Mill road, levels are being monitored.
• N72 in Mallow closed at both Park Road and at Bridge Street
• R621 closed at Longfields Bridge near Sugar Factory
• The L-1226 at Killavullen Bridge
• The L-1416 at Downing Kilworth
Cork County Council continues to ask motorists to exercise extreme caution as driving conditions may be hazardous with surface flooding possible or fallen trees and branches. Motorists are advised to avoid driving through flowing or standing water and to exercise caution during heavy rain. Please be conscious of cyclists and pedestrians.
Issues such as fallen trees, flooding and road damage should be reported to the Council’s Emergency Out of Hours number on (021) 4800048.
In the event of disruption to power supply, please contact ESB Networks at 1850 372 999. Fallen or grounded wires should be avoided, and the public are advised call ESB in assisting with the identification of location of fallen wires. In the event of disruption to water supply, please contact Irish Water at 1850 278 278.
Cork County Council will continue to monitor this situation and convene regularly.