Camden Fort Meagher
Cork County Council-owned Camden Fort Meagher is internationally recognised as one of the finest remaining examples of a classical Coastal Artillery Fort in the world.
For almost 400 years the fort played a key role as a strong strategic position for the defence of Ireland, the west coast of England and Wales.
Camden Fort Meagher highlights include:
- The Bright Tunnel – Descends 160 feet from the top of the fort to the bottom.
- Granite Spiral Stairway– Offered soldiers rapid access to the magazine in the event of an attack.
- Magazine – Was once a store for vast amounts of munitions and gunpowder.
- Reenactments – Displays highlighting different eras take place regularly at Camden Fort Meagher.
- Panoramic views of Cork Harbour
- Exhibition Rooms – Interactive exhibitions time-lining the history of Camden Fort Meagher.
- Ground Zero 360 – The only resident 9-11 exhibition in the world outside of Manhattan, New York.
- Tea Rooms – Classically decorated Tea Rooms with an outdoor decking area.