Protecting Air Quality is part of the work of the Environment Directorate, whose main offices are at Inniscarra, County Cork.
Their work includes:
- Responding to air pollution complaints and incidents.
- Monitoring the City/County Low Smoke Zone - this work includes solid fuel inspections/sampling and enforcement.
- Licensing and monitoring of industrial emissions for specified activities under the Air Pollution Act, 1987 - see Industrial Air Monitoring Link below.
- Licensing of certain activities that involve the use of substances containing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), e.g. dry cleaners, spray painters, and petrol service stations.
- Ambient dust monitoring of certain activities, e.g. quarries, building developments, and unloading of ship cargoes.
- Assessment of planning applications from an air pollution perspective and the monitoring of any air pollution conditions attached to planning permissions.
- Preparation of evidence for criminal and civil proceedings, oral hearings, and attendance as expert witnesses.