Mayor of the County of Cork, Cllr Patrick Gerard Murphy hosted a Mayoral Reception in County Hall to formally recognise a number of significant achievements from groups and individuals across Cork County. On the night, the Mayor awarded:
- Deirdre Linehan – On her success in the Regional Round of Toastmasters and her participation in the World Toastmasters Finals in Chicago.
- Rebel Wheelers – On their Gold win in the IWAS Youth World Games.
- The Mallow Lifesavers Team of 1968 – On the 50th anniversary of winning the All Ireland and Water Safety President’s Trophy.
- John Murphy – Kinsale – On winning the St. Andrews Links Trophy; one of the most prestigious amateur Golf tournaments in the world.
- James Sugrue - For being placed on the Irish Team for the Home Internationals in Wales First Irish Senior Full Cap and for winning the Fota Island Gold Resort and the Fermoy Senior Scratch Cups.
- Scoil Bharra Ballincollig Girls Football Team - For their Sciath na Scol victory this year.
- Brenda O’Connell - for being awarded Cork Carer of the Year.
- Richie McCarthy – a staff member in the Planning Department for Cork County Council for winning the 2018 All Ireland Senior Hurling with Limerick.
Speaking at the reception, Mayor Patrick Gerard Murphy warmly welcomed all to County Hall while acknowledging the incredible accolades achieved across range of people and groups throughout Cork,
“I am truly delighted to host such an evening and congratulate each of the recipients, from my own behalf, on behalf of all the members and staff at Cork County Council and from the people of County Cork on these wonderful achievements and on the pride they have bought to their families, communities and county. They have displayed remarkable dedication to their respective interests and this reception is an acknowledgement of their recent efforts and achievements.”
Deputy Chief Executive of Cork County Council, Declan Daly reiterated the sentiments of Mayor Murphy and went on to say,
“As a Council we are always striving to support and encourage participation across any form of sport or activity and enable such talent which is clearly evident across tonight’s recipients.”