Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP)
The aim of SICAP is to reduce poverty and promote social inclusion and equality through local, regional and national engagement and collaboration. Its vision is to improve the life chances and opportunities of those who are marginalised in society, living in poverty or in unemployment through community development approaches, targeted supports and interagency collaboration, where the values of equality and inclusion are promoted and human rights are respected.
The Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government is the lead funding Department for SICAP.
The Programme has three goals:
- To support and resource disadvantaged communities and marginalised target groups to engage with relevant local and national stakeholders in identifying and addressing social exclusion and equality issues;
- To support individuals and marginalised target groups experiencing educational disadvantage so they can participate fully, engage with and progress through life-long learning opportunities through the use of community development approaches;
- To engage with marginalised target groups/individuals and residents of disadvantaged communities who are unemployed but who do not fall within mainstream employment service provision, or who are referred to SICAP, to move them closer to the labour market and improve work readiness, and support them in accessing employment and self-employment and creating social enterprise opportunities.
• Disadvantaged Children and Families
• Lone Parents
• New Communities (including Refugees/Asylum Seekers)
• People living in Disadvantaged Communities
• People with Disabilities
• The Unemployed (including those not on the Live Register)
• Low Income Workers/Households
• Young Unemployed People living in disadvantaged areas
• NEET’s – Young People aged 15-24 years who are not in employment, education or training
Local Community Development Committees are managing SICAP at a local level. A public procurement process has been used to select Local Programme Implementers who are delivering SICAP in each area.