Tenant's Responsibilities

Any alterations to the house, including the installation of a satellite dish must have the prior written approval of the Council and may in certain instances require planning permission. The tenant is responsible for the cost of repair for any damage caused to roof tiles due to the installation of a satellite dish or television aerial.

The tenant shall ensure, that any project/works/construction/maintenance/ repairs to the dwelling which arise in accordance with the Tenant’s responsibilities under the Letting Agreement, or otherwise, and which are carried out by the Tenant personally, or by a Third Party/Contractor, are carried out in accordance with the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013 (pdf).

You should make yourself familiar with the contents of your letting agreement, particularly Schedule 1.

Internal Repairs:

The tenant is responsible for repairs which include:

  • Internal door locks, hinges and handles
  • Internal plaster cracks 
  • Repairs to kitchen units, cupboards, wardrobes including their handles, doors, locks and hinges not caused by fair wear and tear
  • Cleaning of the chimney which should be undertaken at a minimum once a year 
  • Damage to the house, fire grates and backs and all internal decoration, draught excluders including all glazing, sanitary ware, external boundary fencing and downpipes
  • Repairs arising from condensation damage 
  • Internal woodwork such as floors, doors, door frames, windows, skirting, architraves, window boards
  • Wall and floor tiles, floor coverings and vent covers

Windows and Doors: 

Windows should be opened at regular intervals to allow for ventilation and circulation of air.  The tenant is responsible for repairs to windows and doors which include:

  • Damage to windows and doors, which is not due to fair wear and tear 
  • Draught proofing 
  • If any of your windowpanes should be broken, you are responsible for replacing them.
  • External and internal door locks, hinges and handles
  • Replacement of broken glass, internal tiles on window sills and boards, letter boxes, window stays, catches and restrictors, painting or treated timber work on windows and external doors ( at least once every two years), all internal decoration including painting and any damage to the fixtures and fittings of the house
  • Control of condensation

Where such damage is made good by Cork County Council, the tenant will be liable for the cost and will reimburse the Council immediately. 


The tenant is responsible for:

  • Cleaning of gully traps and replacement of trap cover.
  • Internal waste pipes, toilet bowls, cisterns and toilet seat replacement 
  • Replacement of wash hand basins, stopper and chain for baths and sinks 
  • Venting air locks in the central heating system.
  • Clearing a blocked house drain where a dwelling is served by a single drain and the apportioned cost of clearing a combined drain.  

Please note that the flushing of non-bio degradable material (i.e. wipes and nappies etc.) down the toilets and drains of your premises is strictly prohibited.  Any problems that are associated with flushing a non-biodegradable material will result in the tenant being charged with the call out charge and repair of same.

External works:

The tenant is responsible for: 

  • Maintenance and upkeep of footpaths, gardens and hedges
  • Repairs to, or replacement of, fences and garden boundary walls erected by the Council and/or by the Tenant
  • Repairs to, or replacement of, and re-erection of front gates or side gates or doors leading to garden area
  • Maintenance of fuel sheds or outhouses where provided
  • Repair of damage to external wall finishes


The tenant is responsible for:  the replacement of light bulbs, fuses, light tubes, lamp-shades and worn plugs, burglar alarm systems and replacement of batteries in battery operated smoke detectors.

Main fuses are the responsibility of the ESB. You should not interfere with mains fuses or electrical fittings ie sockets, switches, ceiling roses or electric storage heaters without the written consent of the Council. You will be responsible for any repairs arising from interference with an electrical installation.

The tenant is responsible for provision and maintenance of adequate fire detection equipment.

The tenant is to ensure that a qualified and competent electrical contractor carries out all household electrical installations and authorised repairs.  

The tenant is responsible for solid fuel, gas and other heating/cooking appliances installed by the tenant, the grate in all fireplaces, damage to heaters through improper use, repair and replacement of fireplace or hearth tiles and the annual maintenance of all appliances they have installed themselves.

The importance of ventilating our homes


This guide on ventilation will help you better understand the ventilation in your home. It does not replace manufacturer’s instructions, which you should always follow. It explains ventilation, what you need to know if you own or rent your home and if you are planning renovations.

Why you need proper ventilation in your home