Refunds of Motor Tax

All refund applications must be made on Form RF120 (pdf) and stamped at your local Garda Station.  This Form should be accompanied by surrendered tax disc.  There should be three months unexpired tax left on the disc on surrender. 

A vehicle unused since the issue of a tax disc will only qualify for a refund if the disc is surrendered immediately after issue.  

A vehicle being “off the road” does not qualify for a refund. 

  • Tax disc – if this is missing Form RF134 (pdf) also needs to be signed and stamped at your local Garda Station.
  • Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC)/Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) or Log Book unless the vehicle has already been scrapped.  If this document is missing then Form RF134 (pdf) also needs to be signed and stamped at your local Garda Station.

Examples of supporting Documentation for Refund

  • Certificate of Destruction from an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) must be presented for scrapped vehicle refund.  Otherwise a letter from Insurance Company, on headed paper, stating that the vehicle was a Category A or B “write-off”.  Category C “write-offs” do not qualify.
  • Garda Report – this is required where the vehicle has been stolen.
  • Exportation Documents – For vehicles sent permanently out of the state, proof of export is needed.  This should state date and vehicle registration/ re-registration and country of export.
  • Medical Certificate of Illness – A medical certificate of illness from a doctor is required to cover the period of non-use due to illness/injury.
  • Letter from Defence Forces/Employer/College – This should state dates of absence from the State.