Horse Control

Cork County Council is responsible for responding to reports of horses/mules/donkeys straying or out of control on public property only.

Please note the following:

If a horse/mule/donkey is straying or out of control or present without permission on private property it is the land-owner or person in charge of the land who is responsible for dealing with the animal in terms of impounding and addressing adverse welfare if applicable. You or the owner of the lands are advised to contact the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine and/or the ISPCA. 

If a horse/mule/donkey is straying or out of control on public property, please contact Cork County  Council Veterinary Department on (021) 4285405, Monday to Friday between 10 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. In ALL circumstances, either on public OR private lands, if you believe the straying horse/mule/donkey poses a danger to the public, please inform the Garda Síochana as soon as you can.