Roads and Transportation

Road Opening Licence

A Road Opening Licence must be obtained from Cork County Council for any excavation on a public road (pavement), footpath, grass margin and public car park.

An application for a Road Opening Licence must be made via the Maproad Roadworks Licensing System (MRL). This System is facilitated and supported by the Road Management Office (RMO).  All applicants must register in advance through the RMO and must submit evidence of compliant Insurances in the required format. You can register as a new Applicant hereand user queries can be directed here.

All road opening work must be carried out in accordance with the 'Purple Book' Guidelines for Managing Openings in Public Roads (pdf) - current revision April 2017.