Part 8 Update
Approved at the Full Council Meeting on 27th June 2022.
CORK COUNTY COUNCIL
DEVELOPMENT UNDER SECTION 179 OF THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACT, 2000 AND NOTICE PURSUANT TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF PART 8, ARTICLE 81 OF THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS, 2001 AS AMENDED
Notice is hereby given that Cork County Council proposes to carry out the following development: Carrigtwohill Urban Regeneration and Development Fund (URDF) Initiative – Public Realm Infrastructure Bundle
- Main Street from the junction at Castlelake Avenue (Castle Square) to the junction with Carrigane Road;
- Station Road from the junction with Main Street to the junction at Carrigtwohill Train Station;
- Carrigane Road from the junction with Main Street to the junction with Castleview;
- Cluain Cairn, An Fána, Castle Close, Castle Avenue;
- Wises Road/Main Street junction;
- Wises Road/Oakbrook Link Road (Access Road to Castlelake)/IDA Industrial Estate Access Road junction;
- N25 Junction 3 and lands adjoining this junction.
In public and private land within the Townlands of: Carrigtohill, Terry’s-Land, Tullagreen and Killacloyne.
Nature and Extent of Proposed Development:
The proposed development comprises the following infrastructure projects:
- Main Street and Station Road Public Realm Works comprising of the following:
- Upgrade of Main Street and Station Road junction including footpath widening, road re-alignment and widening, re-surfacing, signalisation, provision of pedestrian crossings and removal of existing structures/buildings;
- Provision of three new public spaces as follows:
- At junction of Station Road and Main Street;
- At and north of the Community Centre on Main Street;
- At and west of St. Mary’s Church on Station Road.
- Public realm upgrade of Station Road from the junction with Main Street to the junction at Carrigtwohill Train Station including:
- Road widening with footpaths / off-road cycle tracks on both sides of the road, raising of existing roads levels where required, and re-location of the existing Grotto;
- Removal of existing boundary walls, re-building of boundary walls, re-location of entrances and local realignment of the stream channel;
- Two number ‘Biodiversity Areas’;
- New street lighting, undergrounding of overhead lines, new underground services and drainage, and diversion of existing services where required;
- Traffic calming measures including re-surfacing, road narrowing, tree planting and raised tables, signalised and unsignalised raised pedestrian crossings;
- Removal of on-street carparking and provision of a new car park (46 no. spaces);
- Upgrade of existing car park at Patrick Pearse Place;
- New shared use pedestrian and cyclist path between Station Road and recreation areas south of Main Street via Patrick Pearse Place and the existing Centra shopping centre car park;
- New footpaths connecting the following housing developments:
- Cluain Cairn and An Fána;
- Cluain Cairn and Castle Close/Castle Avenue.
- Public realm upgrade of Main Street from the junction at Castlelake Avenue (Castle Square) to the junction with Carrigane Road including:
- Footpath widening on both sides of the road with varying surface treatments;
- Shared cycle/pedestrian path on north side of the road from the junction at Castlelake Avenue (Castle Square) to Bán Na Gréine;
- Removal of existing boundary walls, re-building of boundary walls, and re-location of entrances;
- Street lighting, undergrounding of overhead lines and diversion of existing services as required;
- Traffic calming measures including re-surfacing, road narrowing, tree planting, raised tables, signalised and unsignalised raised pedestrian crossings;
- Re-location of on-street car parking to three new car parks (45 no. spaces);
- New road running south from Main Street including underground services, and public lighting; viii.New school drop off and turning area accessed from Carrigane Road with accessible parking;
ix. New school drop-off area accessed from Main Street with accessible parking.
- Wises Road Junction Upgrades comprising of the following:
- Upgrade of junction of Wises Road and Main Street including provision of traffic signals, pedestrian crossings, road re-alignment and footpath widening;
- Upgrade of junction of Wises Road and Oakbrook Link Road (Access Road to Castlelake) / IDA Industrial Estate Access Road including provision of traffic signals, road re-alignment and footpath widening.
- N25 Junction 3 (Cobh Cross) Additional Capacity Interim Measures to include an increase in the size of the existing northern roundabout, pedestrian crossings, and widening and re-alignment of roundabout arms.
The proposal has undergone Appropriate Assessment screening under the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) and screening for Environmental Impact Assessment under the EIA Directive (2014/52/EU). The Authority has concluded that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment and no impacts to any Natura 2000 sites are likely as a result of the proposed development. A determination has been made that an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is not required and a full Appropriate Assessment is not required. In accordance with Article 120 (3), as amended by S.I. No. 296 of 2018, a person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice (25th February 2022) apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment. Such a submission should be addressed to the Secretary, An Bord Pleanála, 64, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection, or to purchase for a fee of €15 per set, from Friday 25th February 2022 until Friday 25th March 2022 at the following venues:
- Below in the 'Additional Documents' section.
- Planning Counter, Ground Floor, County Hall, Cork between the hours of 09:00 and 16:00 on each working day, subject to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Cork County Council Area Engineer’s Office at Ballinglanna, Glanmire and Cobh Municipal District Office, Carrig House, Cobh, Co. Cork between the hours of 09:00 and 17:00 on each working day during which the said offices are opened for the transaction of business, subject to COVID-19 restrictions.
Submissions or Observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development would be situated, may be made on or before 17:00 on Friday April 8th, 2022 as follows:
- Note: (No Longer Active as per dates above) Online submission form on Cork County Council’s website at www.yourcouncil.ie or
- In writing clearly marked: ‘Part 8 – Carrigtwohill URDF Initiative – Public Realm Infrastructure Bundle’, Senior Executive Engineer, Housing Infrastructure Implementation Team, Cork County Council, Floor 3, County Hall, Carrigrohane Road, Cork, T12 R2NC
Part 8 Planning Application Report (pdf)
Press Notice (pdf)
Site Notice (pdf)
Appropriate Assessment Screening Determination (pdf)
Archaeological and Built Heritage Assessment (pdf)
Carrigtwohill Urban Regeneration and Development Fund Initiative - Public Realm Infrastructure Bundle Drawing Booklet (pdf)
Ecological Impact Assessment (pdf)
Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Determination (pdf)
Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report (pdf)
Flood Risk Assessment (pdf)
Screening for Appropriate Assessment (pdf)
It should be noted that the Freedom of Information Act applies to all records held by Cork County Council.
Senior Executive Engineer, Housing Infrastructure Implementation Team, Cork County Council, 25th February 2022