Camden Fort Meagher History

Map of Camden Fort Meagher
Whats in a name...?

Named: James’ Battery. 

Earliest documented fortification was known as James’ Battery.

Named: Rams Head Battery. 

The fort was upgraded over a two year period and renamed Rams Head Battery.

Named: Fort Camden. 

In honour of The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and Earl of Camden at the time, John Jeffreys Pratt.

Named: Fort Meagher. 

In honour of Thomas Francis Meagher, who led the Young Irelanders and who unveiled the Irish Tricolour for the first time in 1848.

Named: Camden Fort Meagher. 

In honour of The combined British and Irish history that shaped the fort.